[icecast-dev] No source buffering

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Thu Feb 19 18:01:41 PST 2004

At 07:31 PM 2/19/2004, you wrote:
>On Friday 20 February 2004 12:10, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> > > wants to send such a patch, we're happy to integrate them. I don't
> > > remember the DoS bug - that might be a real problem. It could be that a
> >
> > It started out with this:
> >
> > http://www.xiph.org/archives/icecast-dev/0366.html
> >
> > and I found the problem and sent the patch:
> >
> > http://www.xiph.org/archives/icecast-dev/0381.html
> >
> > Sometime later it was not included yet, I didn't check last versions,
> > specially after big changes in the code.
>
>Thanks for this patch - it looks right to me, and I've committed it. Sorry I
>missed it the first time (I found it difficult to understand your actual
>email, which is probably why I didn't look at it in more detail originally).
we actually fixed this issue a while back... A continue was added (line 459
of stats.c) which will skip the thread_sleep in the case where there are
pending global events..

also, the global_event_queue pointer has a mutex lock wrapped around access
to it, which your (Ricardo) patch didn't have.

I think it is a fair statement that we regularly and welcome patches from
everyone.  But we also reserve the right to not apply them directly,
especially when there are objections from the development team.  Statements
like "I've been running this patch forever, and it works great for me"
generally doesn't help as usually the objections are of a "this wont work
in all cases" or "you rewrote stuff you didn't have to".

Anyway, hopefully we can move on from this, as your complaints :
A. icecast needs some sort of burst on connect
B. the DoS patch you sent in never got incorporated
are no longer valid since we are currently in process of implementing A,
and we fixed B (even though we didn't use your patch).

oddsock