[icecast-dev] new features request

Dave St John dstjohn at mediacast1.com
Fri Feb 13 00:24:23 PST 2004

I think that would be a good feature to add in icecast2, dont get me wrong,
im just saying with QoS
you have far much more flexibility in handling bandwidth.
tcp/ip packets can be marked with iptables and then ran threw tc which you
could then prioritize your packets
set a limit and a burst for variable bitrates.
(http://svana.org/kleptog/Packet-Shaping-HOWTO.txt)
I know there isnt any "drop in the bucket application" so to speak for QoS
and streaming audio, but bandwidth is bandwidth
either way you dice it up, once you dig into QoS on linux there so much more
you can do efficiently and effectivly.

give this script a shot
http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cbqinit/cbq.init-v0.7.3
follow the intstructions, ive tested it on icecast2 and shoutcast sports and
dports
works like a charm.
takes some reading and playing with but none the less its a great script to
get started.

What would be even cooler is to see icecast2 handle certain QoS options
instead of just
rate limiting a sport a dport

Mediacast1 Administrator