[Icecast-dev] listen to port on ipv6 by default[patch]

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Dec 12 15:10:29 PST 2004

On Saturday 11 December 2004 07:56, j at v2v.cc wrote:
> right now icecast2 listens to 0.0.0.0 by default if bind-address is not
> defined. it should rather listen to :: if ipv6 is available.
> the change is rather small. i do not know how that works on systems that
> do not support IPv6 yet.
> so i added #ifdef AF_INET6, is that the right way to check for ipv6?
>
> attached is a patch against http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/net/
>
> if it is ok like that it would be good to apply it for the next release.

This doesn't look right to me. This makes the runtime behaviour depend on
compile-time availability of AF_INET6.

Also, I'm not sure if the runtime behaviour is correct - I'm not that familiar
with IPv6. If you have a v6 socket open, will it accept v4 connections?

In short, a more complex patch would be needed - at the least, it'd need to
query availability of ipv6 sockets at runtime (as well as having the
compile-time checks for the appropriate functions/constants/etc.).

Mike