[icecast-dev] icecast2 ogg vorbis client request headers

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sun Apr 4 20:04:38 PDT 2004

At 07:41 PM 4/4/2004, you wrote:
>That was your plan.
>
>My plan is to provide what currently exists (htpasswd-like) and a 'script'
>authenticator which just calls an external program, as Geoff described.
>
>Both are, of course, possible. Your "URL call" (this is a very strange way to
>describe it, by the way - I assume you mean "HTTP connection") approach is
>much more complex to implement well, though, without obviously being more
>powerful.

invoking a URL is what I mean, I call it "URL Call" you call it HTTP
connection, it's the same thing...as you well know.

and considering the way many broadcasters have implemented authentication
(and I know more than a few that have, and they ALL have done it via a "URL
call" type method), I would say this method is more conventional than the
"invoke a script" type method.  And if you ask me, having icecast fork and
exec a script to do listener authentication is not going to scale too well
(I hope you don't plan to fork/exec for every listener connection).  AND we
already have the infrastructure for making URL calls (the YP code has to do
it).

But obviously I would not be against implementing a script-based
authenticator, although this is pretty useless for most Win32 users (yes
there are a bunch of those out there) as most Win32 users don't generally
script things...

oddsock