[icecast-dev] IP-less logging

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Wed Nov 19 10:40:09 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:55:14AM -0700, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > I'd like to see this become either a standard ./configure option or a
> > logfile option.  Upgrading would become so much easier if it were.  Is
> > there a chance this can make it into the beta/2.0 release?
>
> I assume you're logging hashes then?

No, because 4 billion possibilities is easy to crack.  Especially if,
say, the server were confisgated to prove a specific person was
listening at a specific time.  It would take very little to precalc
hashes for every possible IP, then do a simple lookup on each one.

We can use netstat to see current listener's IPs, to discover abuse.

Also, our primary concern is protecting source providers, but IP logging
in general is discouraged by our org with the history we have of our
servers being taken for their logs.  No IP logs, they dont have a reason
to take them anymore because there's no evidence to be gathered.