[icecast-dev] Icecast User Login Question

Scott Manley djsnm at djsnm.com
Mon Nov 3 18:34:55 PST 2003

Dave St John wrote:
> Sure thats all fine and dandy but i think its more of a secure option for
> the icecast2 server to handle
> this internaly than a 3rd party script.

Actually if you;re interested in integration with some sort of
subscription services then you want as much of the subscription logic to
be external as possible - trust me - I designed a subscription based
system which handled 7 million users (and managed to bankrupt at least
one company ;-)

potentially end up doing a whole load of database logic, and different
subscription models need different logic, so as much of this wants to be
in external applications. Icecast should concern itself with pushing out
data and not much else, authentication shouldn't be much more than
username/password or ticket based checking. For versatile subscription
engines the ticket generation can be done in whatever backend language
you want.

Scott Manley