[icecast-dev] Icecast "dropping" YP updates

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Sun Jun 29 22:18:08 PDT 2003

Ok, we're getting warmer.. but not there yet.

Icecast is no longer eating infinite CPU, no longer gobbling memory..

But we still got a problem.  First, Icecast is still re-touching too
frequently (or prehaps several times in a row) on the same streams:

Mon Jun 30 07:03:48 2003
< [MiniFieldStorage('action', 'touch'), MiniFieldStorage('sid', '2'),
MiniFieldStorage('st', 'unknown - Enemy Combatant Radio'),
MiniFieldStorage('listeners', '0')]

YPResponse: 1
YPMessage: Updated.

Mon Jun 30 07:03:54 2003
< [MiniFieldStorage('action', 'touch'), MiniFieldStorage('sid', '2'),
MiniFieldStorage('st', 'unknown - Enemy Combatant Radio'),
MiniFieldStorage('listeners', '0')]

YPResponse: 1
YPMessage: Updated.

This is just 8 seconds apart, no change in the stream, and was given a
positive response.

But this is a minor issue compaired to the fact that, after a seemingly
random period of time, servers stop announcing streams.  I believe this
may be caused by oddsock/icecast's YP servers being down, prehaps if it
cannot publish a stream to one server it marks the stream as bad?

The last touch of each of these streams is successful, nothing should
cause these streams to stop being published other than a bug.

Lastly, and this is just an annoyance, I've discovered that libshout is
using the YP field "bitrate" while Oddsock's spec (plus darkice and
apparently oddsock's software) uses the field "b".