[icecast-dev] Icecast's YP bugs

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Tue Jun 24 16:58:01 PDT 2003

Ok I've been discovering many bugs in Icecast's YP implementation..

The most serious of which is, if a YP server is rejecting a stream the
server has a memory leak which, as it continues to re-try to publish
it's rejected streams, grows until the server segfaults.  On our server,
for instance, we're relaying shoutcast streams (which does not relay the
stream name and other metadata) which are rejected from the YP server
despite that they are comming from an Icecast2 server and using proper
protocols because of the missing data.  This grows over time and, as a
result, our relay server continues to segfault.

Also, last night I was working on the YP server just before our server
suffered from some network issue and was taken offline (but still
working).  A stream source running from the box (from a playlist)
continued to run to our main Icecast process which kept getting rejected
from the YP server.. when we got the system back online I found this:

37088 nobody     2   0   213M 47696K RUN     55:12  0.00%  0.00% icecast

Here are the bugs as I've found so far...

1) Icecast memory leak, specifically caused by rejected YP add/touches

2) Should relay icy/x-audiocast stream metadata when connecting to
icecast1/shoutcast/etc so that this information is available to YP

3) Should remember that a stream was rejected by a YP server, and either
not try to publish it again or wait a reasonable amount of time (ie, 15
minutes) before trying again, vs re-trying several times a minute

The combination of these three bugs have made our setup unstable.. the
only solution we've thought of is to move the streams from shoutcast to
their own icecast2 process which doesnt publish to YP servers until this
issue is corrected..