[icecast-dev] Work on ICECAST : IcecastAdmin, remodularisation, Doc (Docbook), speex ...

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri Jun 6 09:40:01 PDT 2003

> We also modified the buffer structure in order to make the icecast work
> more logical :
> just inserting the client in the stream and then serving him in a non
> specific way (avoiding
> the reconstruction of data for each client).

Can you explain what you mean by this? For ogg streaming, icecast2 does _not_
reconstruct data for each client. For mp3 streaming, it does - but only
because it _has to_ - if you don't, you have to artificially synchronise on
metadata interval. That would mean that for a low bitrate mp3 stream (say
around 8 kbps), it would be an average of 8 seconds between connecting and
the client being sent _any_ data at all. That's clearly not desirable, so for
mp3, we do rebuild the data stream on a per-client basis.

(I'm not ignoring the rest of your work, by the way - I just haven't had a
chance to look at it yet).

Mike