[icecast-dev] protocol description

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Jul 20 19:19:32 PDT 2003

On Sunday 20 July 2003 04:45, Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> > Icecast will already relay an icecast or a shoutcast stream for
> > you. And the client (listener) protocol is the same.
>
> Is there any description of this protocol then? I'm having some troubles
> getting things to work.

Yes, the client protocol is HTTP 1.0. Which is very well documented.
The only 'extra' here is for mp3, in which case we support the shoutcast
inline-metadata protocol, which is a pretty nasty hack, but is supported by
most players. Do a search for "shoutcast mp3 metadata protocol", that brings
up several documents that describe it.

Mike