[icecast-dev] protocol description

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Sun Jul 6 11:38:46 PDT 2003

> > Do you have any documentation on the protocol used by the icecast-server?
> > I wrote a tool for multiplexing (proxying) shoutcast-sessions and I would
> > also like to convert it for icecast-sessions. This shoutcastproxy makes it
> > possible to listen with a couple of people to a session while only 1 is
> > retrieved from a shoutcastserver
> > (http://www.vanheusden.com/shoutcastproxy/).
> I'm a little confused by your project (and couldn't reach your site).
> Icecast will already relay an icecast or a shoutcast stream for
> you. And the client (listener) protocol is the same.

Ah! so maybe my program already supports it...
Ok, what it does is the following:
the proxy  connects to a server
clients can then connect to the proxy and will get the audio from that
server. so multplie clients can have audio from a source with the
badwidth-usage of only of client.
of course, the proxy only connects when there are clients and also
disconnects when no clients are listening anymore.