[icecast-dev] shoutcast to icecast2 issues

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Jul 2 21:24:17 PDT 2003

On Thursday 03 July 2003 11:12, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Wednesday, 02 July 2003 at 18:06, mark burdett wrote:
> > relaying a shoutcast stream via icecast2 is pretty much unlistenable --
> > it constantly stutters.
> >
> > for example,
> > shoutcast relay -- http://205.188.234.1:8030/listen.pls
> > icecast2 relay -- http://liveradio.indymedia.org:8001/sf-hifi.mp3.m3u
>
> I've verified the problem when relay-shoutcast-metadata is set. Does
> turning it off solve your problems?

This _did_ work (I tested relaying a shoutcast stream, with metadata, at one
point).

Is the relayed stream correctly sending the icy-metaint header? See
format_mp3.c:80, where it parses the value. If that value-parsing goes wrong
for some reason, continual stuttering would result.

If that's right, then the error is likely in
format_mp3.c:format_mp3_get_buffer(), in the case where it handles a non-zero
inline_metadata_interval. The code there _should_ work, but it didn't get
very extensive testing, so there might be some cases it misses? It's pretty
messy.

Mike