[icecast-dev] Faststart: Second Try

Ricardo Galli gallir at uib.es
Mon Jan 20 13:25:30 PST 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 15:13, Michael Smith shaped the electrons to
shout:
> There's already too much format-specific knowledge in the core, this
> get_serialno() thing has no chance of going in.

Only a stream id, which also could be called "stream_id", I don't think is
"too much knowledge". Nevertheless, I will change it if you are still
interested, but please, give some clues of _your_ thoughts before I send
the patch (I asked about this issue several times in the last days).

> The right way to do this is to move it all entirely into get_predata(),

This a good clue.

> and have a default implementation of that (for mp3 to use, for example,
> as well as any other formats that get added in the future) that only
> does the 'faststart' stuff. The vorbis implementation will obviously
> need to do more than just this one thing.
>
> It also needs to be defaulted to off, this isn't a feature everyone
> should get without thinking about whether they want to use it.

OK.

For doing all of these, and perhaps to implement more complex flow control
policies in the future (as you suggest), I would like to clean up
source_main by moving the logic of sending the client queue to another
function.

I've already got the patch, I'll sent it in few minutes, after I finish
the tests.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34