[icecast-dev] why is there a timeout in _accept_connection (icecast/src/connection.c)

k.j.wierenga at home.nl k.j.wierenga at home.nl
Wed Feb 26 05:46:44 PST 2003

Hi all,

I was wondering why there is a timeout (100msec) in the
_acception_connection function (icecast/src/connection.c) where it calls
the util_timed_wait_for_fd.

To me this seems to incur unecessary load on the machine on which the
icecast server runs, since each time the timeout expires some more user
time is used up by the process.

In my particular setup I run an icecast server 24/7, but only have a source
(and clients) connected for a couple of hours during the week. When I leave
the server running it continues to use processor time whereas if there was
no timeout in _accept_connection the process would simply block until the
next source or client connects.

Is there a particular reason for having this timeout? Has it got something
to do with the fact that icecast2 is a multi-threaded application?

You answer would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Klaas Jan Wierenga
The Netherlands