[icecast-dev] Any buffering on server?

Ricardo Galli gallir at uib.es
Mon Feb 10 04:17:33 PST 2003

On Monday 10 February 2003 04:29, Michael Smith shaped the electrons to
shout:
> Other than the headers, there is no deliberate burst at initial connect
> (but there will be an option for this soon).

You can try it (48 KB of startup buffers) at:

http://mcrg.uib.es:8000/live.ogg
and
http://mcrg.uib.es:8000/high.ogg

The only think I'm still not very convinced is that clients has to wait
for at least 1 "source iteration" (and 2 in the worst case) in order to
beging to receive any data at all. This is due to the algorith:

while (source)
    wait for source
    read from source
    send to clients
    check new clients
    add buffers
    etc..
end

I think the following will behave better for startups:

while (source)
    wait for source
    check new clients
    add buffers
    read from source
    send to clients
    etc..
end

It will decrease in a few tenth of seconds the time needed to send data,
but will increase complexity in tree locks.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34