[icecast-dev] Icecast 2: planned stuff.

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Feb 2 11:33:02 PST 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:58:22PM +0100, Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:20:41AM -0500, Erich J. Ritzmann wrote:
> >
> > The advantage of centralization from a system management perspective is
> > significant.  Everything from the standard location of logs, to
> > simplicity  of log rotation, to the ease with which you can configure
> > the logging level using standard syslog configuration -- these are all
> > highly valued if you are trying to keep hundreds of applications alive
> > in production setting.
>
> more than that, the interesting thing is that you can log on a
> different machine, which is of great value in the case you've got
> more than one.

I've just coded a preliminary (untested) syslog support into IceCast2,
but I wondered if access log should also go to syslog or only what's
in the error log.

the quick thing I've done is keep both access and error log files, but
ADDITIONNALLY send to syslog, this is triggered with a new (-s) command
line option.

I don't know if short-circuiting completely access and error log
in case the admin wants to use syslog is a good thing or bad thing,
that's why I've kept the original behavior.

I can't compile it on my home machine this evening (mess in
installed libraries) , so I'll only be able to test tomorrow, but if
someone is interested I can send the patch here before I test it, it
*should* work but maybe there are typos...

bye,

Jerome Alet