[icecast-dev] Missing headers in Icecast2

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Dec 7 17:58:33 PST 2003

On Saturday 06 December 2003 12:43, Macsym wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Assorgia and me, we have worked on the Flash client for Icecast2. We got
> successful results with:
> -Windows (Netscape, Mozilla, CompuServe, or Opera) -Macintosh and
> Linux(Netscape, Internet Explorer for Macintosh, Safari, AOL, Opera, or
> CompuServe)
>
> For Windows (Internet Explorer or AOL) some headers sent by Icecast2 are
> missing. These headers are sent by Icecast1 but NOT Icecast2 (it is the
> reason why it always works with Icecast1). These necessary headers are:
> -Cache-Control: no-cache
> -Pragma: no-cache
> -Connection: keep-alive

I doubt these three are relevant. It's simple enough to make icecast2 output
the first 2 if really neccesary (unlikely), and the third would be possible
with some work.

This is probably the important one. It's not possible to send this when using
a live stream - because in that case, obviously, the content-length is
unknown.

For fileserving, icecast2 should send a content-length header (it might, but I
don't think it currently does), but that's not relevant for your use.

> Can anybody advise us the best solution to force Icecast2 to send these
> headers to the browser? Should we build a patch or simply change some
> source codes and compile the modified source?

See above: the main problem is that the important header CAN'T be sent for a
live stream.

Mike