[icecast-dev] time out issues with icecast2

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Thu Aug 14 09:05:50 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 12:01:11PM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> Hi.  I am having a strange problem where the source times out during
> anicecast2 stream -- I was using mp3pro at 32khz and even some other
> speeds.  I have set the source timeout for 1 minute, but it still
> times out or says connection reset by peer.

Icecast2 isn't designed to use mp3pro, its a different format
alltogether which only uses the "mp3" name to piggyback on the concept
that "mp3 = online music".  I don't think it'll work with Icecast2.

> Now the strange thing is that I also had a windows media stream on
> the same source machine going to a wm server and it had no problems!
> So can someone tell me am I missing something, is wm more reliable?

If you need MP3, try using ices0, or better yet use ices2 and stream Ogg
Vorbis.  Better quality than MP3 (by far), and if you feel the need you
can supply your users with easy access to a Java (JOrbis) client for
listening without an Ogg-enabled player (which most are nowadays).