[icecast-dev] Streaming: clients synchronized

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Sun Mar 10 09:36:34 PST 2002

Hi all,

For my application, I need streaming audio where the playback on all
machines is (more or less) synchronized.  I maintain an estimate of the
difference in wall clock time, so I know when each sample should play on
each machine.

I can handle the vorbis decoding and playback myself, so on the client I
just need to receive data from the socket and store it in a buffer,
although it needs to recover from lag an other problems.  However, on
the server, when the client is too laggy and it wants to increase the
buffer, it needs to start sending from earlier in the stream.

Can icecast do this out of the box?  If not, what parts of the code
should I look at?  I tried to get the code, but the icecast web site
seems to be down.

Thanks,
Martin