[icecast-dev] Icecast2?

Ricardo Galli gallir at uib.es
Tue Feb 19 02:40:21 PST 2002

On 19/02/02 04:10, Jack Moffitt shaped the electrons to say:
> > Just in case, I copy the mail and attach the patch.
> >
> > I am working in my second version (not included in the patch), I would
> > like to hear some comments:
> >
> > - prebuffering parameter (used in previous patch) in now configurable in
> >
> > - instead of disconnecting when the client-queue > 25, I discard packages
> > wich are older than prebuffer*2. All clients I tried have recovered very
> > well, even with a ping -f running behind.
>
> These are quite big changes, and warrant some discussion.

In fact they are small changes in code altough  conceptually important. I
think the server must try to keep the connection instead of dropping it.

> I was planning to keep a prebuffer internal and spit it out as fast as
> possible, so this will probably get incorporated.

Nice.

> nonblcoking socket failures.  They are determined to be recoverable
> (EAGAIN, etc) or not recoverable.  on recoverable errors we just resend.
> On non recoverable errors we can do nothing but remove the client.

Two issues, Linux doesn't return always a recoverable error if you try to
write when internal TCP buffers are full and/or waiting for some response
from the client. In my tests, I was getting "Broken Pipe" continously.

Just try it from a client behind a slow connection (ISDN or PSTN) and ask the
client to download _a_ web page (for example). The connection is close almost
inmediately.

--
  ricardo
"I just stopped using Windows and now you tell me to use Mirrors?"