[icecast-dev] separate source and client ports

paranoid at dds.nl paranoid at dds.nl
Tue Aug 13 04:52:53 PDT 2002

Hi,

The question I have is regarding separated ports for client and source connections. Let me explain.

Since a short while I have been successfully testing icecast and ogg for live broadcasts. Now I am building a website around it, which of course I want to be dynamically generated on the fact whether there is a live broadcast or not.

The easy way I want to do that is to check for connections on the given port in the icecast configuration file. Basically this works fine. If there is at least one connection on that port, there must be a source connected, hence a broadcast.

The problem occures when a client wants to connect without a source being available, then my webscript detects a connection, but that of the client trying to connect and not of the source.

Is it possible to build in an option in the configure stage of icecast which let's you choose between just one port or separate ports for client and source connections?
Or does anyone know I can alter the source code to accomplish this myself?

I have tried to add an alternative 'sourceport' in the main.c and config.h files. It compiled successfully but after startup it did not work (surprise surpise!). Since I am no C programmer, can anyone help me out?

I know there are several reasons for going for just one port, I understand completely, but it's such an easy to realtime detect broadcasts.

Thanks for reading and any answers that follow.

Regards,
Frank Keijzers