[icecast-dev] communication between icecast and sources

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Sun Apr 7 13:40:57 PDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:53:58PM -0500, Brant Chamberlain wrote:
> I was actually thinking of implementing something like this for ices, Such
> that the user could dynamically request songs to be streamed to the server.
> Makes it easier for wrapper applications (such as jukeboxes) to control the
> stream rather than relying on files and SIG's for RPC.
>
> Is there anything like this being planned?

i'd need to control something like ices too

my goal is to serve a playlist of files streamed, in which not all the
files are stored local on the same machine;

it could work with a daemon listening to xml-rpc calls, receiving a
long url containing the location for the server where to take the song;
if the song is local the daemon streams from the harddisk (like ices to
an icecast), if not then asks another daemon for it - maybe the song
gets streamed p2p thru the daemons and inserted into the playlist,
everything at the right time.

before i talked about xml-rpc controls for icecast because to reach my
goal there are two ways:
- p2p connection between daemons (i discuss above)
- the second daemon starts streaming on the same icecast where the
  playlist is served and the first daemon switches to it with a 'select'
  function call.

i sympathize for the second way, alltough i'm opened to suggestions

--
jaromil  ][   http://dyne.org   ][  GnuPG _key__id_
EDEE F1B9 DC92 76C0 6D46  D77A 58B0 82D6 (5B6E 6D97)