[icecast-dev] Re: [icecast] Problem with ices on OpenBSD 2.9 w/ Icecast 1.3.10

Nick Ludlam nick at recoil.org
Wed Jul 11 18:10:28 PDT 2001

From: "Brendan Cully" <brendan at icecast.org>
> On Thursday, 12 July 2001 at 01:25, Nick Ludlam wrote:
> > From: "Brendan Cully" <brendan at icecast.org>
> > > I've got a change which still uses sleep but in much smaller
> > > increments, sitting in the icecast CVS tree (this was to help with
> > > streaming high bitrate streams). Try that out and see if it works for
> > > you.
> > >
> > > I did play with select for a little bit before doing the lame sleep
> > > tactic. I found that on linux icecast was getting woken up every few
> > > bytes, so I thought that sleeping might actually be a bit more
> > > CPU-friendly since it could theoretically read in larger chunks.
> > >
> > > Maybe we should just go to select for its simplicity and reliablity.
> >
> > [moved this to icecast-dev as it's now more appropriate]
> >
> > It all depends on how intensive it is to read that little data very frequently
> > over time. Again, the scheduler will probably govern how efficient this
> > is on any given platform.
> > A better way of doing this under *BSDs is to use kqueue() and kevent().
> > I don't know if any of the icecast contributors run on a BSD, but I can
> > try and work out a suitable patch. I'm not a particularly great programmer,
> > but I'll see what I can arrange.
>
> As an aside, have you tried CVS icecast, and does it work? How is
> it on your CPU?

Ok I've tested out the cvs version, and with a default sleep_ratio of 0.1 it's
now happy to recieve a 128kbit stream. I've got ices to dump out how long
it's sleeping for each chunk sent out to icecast, and that's around 0.16 to
0.18 seconds. This server is a P3 667. On my 400MHz P2 laptop running
Linux 2.4.0-test10, it's sleeping for around 0.22 to 0.26 seconds, so it looks
like Linux is being alot more efficient about context switching/thread handling
in this particular case.
A direct comparison of load from top running on both boxes is difficult as
OpenBSD's calculation of load average and processor usage is substantially
different from Linux. I'd also like to test out how cpu intensive this gets with
more than one connection. I think I'll try and recruit some people round the
office to set up a client to see how the load ramps up with the number of
listeners.

Nick