[icecast-dev] Re: [icecast] Problem with ices on OpenBSD 2.9 w/ Icecast 1.3.10

Nick Ludlam nick at recoil.org
Wed Jul 11 17:25:23 PDT 2001

From: "Brendan Cully" <brendan at icecast.org>
> > Going through the icecast source, wouldn't it make sense to select() on the
> > source data socket instead of just sleeping for an arbitrary amount of time?
> > Since ices is controling when it sends data, you can just read as necessary
> > at the icecast end. I'm not really happy running icecast with sleep_ratio at
> > 0 as this is prohibitively cpu-intensive. I guess this doesn't crop up when
> > running on Linux as the scheduler is different.
>
> I've got a change which still uses sleep but in much smaller
> increments, sitting in the icecast CVS tree (this was to help with
> streaming high bitrate streams). Try that out and see if it works for
> you.
>
> I did play with select for a little bit before doing the lame sleep
> tactic. I found that on linux icecast was getting woken up every few
> bytes, so I thought that sleeping might actually be a bit more
> CPU-friendly since it could theoretically read in larger chunks.
>
> Maybe we should just go to select for its simplicity and reliablity.

[moved this to icecast-dev as it's now more appropriate]

It all depends on how intensive it is to read that little data very frequently
over time. Again, the scheduler will probably govern how efficient this
is on any given platform.
A better way of doing this under *BSDs is to use kqueue() and kevent().
I don't know if any of the icecast contributors run on a BSD, but I can
try and work out a suitable patch. I'm not a particularly great programmer,
but I'll see what I can arrange.

Nick