[ghost-dev] Ghost development assistant notice and introduction

david at bamsoftware.com david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Mar 21 10:11:15 PDT 2007

Hi all,

My name is David Fifield. I'm applying for the Summer of Code project to
work as a development assistant for the Ghost audio codec.

I just found out about the Summer of Code this week, so I'm scrambling
to get my applications in. Sorry my application will come so close to
the deadline.

I'm almost finished with a double major in computer science and
mathematics. I've got good programming skills and I'm not totally naïve
about math. My focus in mathematics studies has been mostly on the
calculus side. I have not done any work with audio codecs, only a (very)
little signal processing. I don't know much about Ghost in particular
but I learn fast and I'm willing to put in time to research what I need
to know.

I'm a good C programmer and I'm decent at Python. I'm good at developing
code quickly. I'm used to working on a distributed software project. The
project description says that this will be an opportunity to learn about
compression algorithm design and practice my programming chops, both of
which sound like a great way to spend a summer.

I believe in free software. Xiph has done great things, and I would love
to be even a small part of it. I would also feel like I'm helping GNU by
helping one of their priority projects.

I have a personal web site at http://www.bamsoftware.com/. I hope we get
to work together.

David Fifield