[ghost-dev] Getting started

Mon Jun 5 06:03:20 PDT 2006

Le lundi 05 juin 2006 à 18:14 +0530, Anup K C a écrit :
> Now that we have a discussion forum, how do w eplan to take forward
> the development ? Can you suggest me a point from which I can take off
> experimenting with your ideas?

I think the first and most important part we need to sort out is the
sinusoidal (and optionally harmonic) analysis. I suggest you experiment
with different methods and see which one works best. As I mentioned
before, I've got some code in svn that implements one method (feel free
to ask questions, since the code is not well commented), but there are
other possible ways (FFT phase, subspace, ...) that can be tried. I'm
not even sure how "works best" can be defined given the fact that we
don't have a quantizer for sinusoids yet. I guess we want something that
models the sinusoids as much as good as possible without picking up the
noise -- while at the same time having continuous values that will be
quantized easily. I've got paper from the latest AES convention I could
scan for you that describes two different sinusoid extraction methods.

I've been putting some random thoughts and explanations on:
http://wiki.xiph.org/Ghost so maybe you could expand that as you
experiment.

	Jean-Marc

P.S. Monty, please subscribe to the list.