[foms] WebVTT implementation in browsers

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:43:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 10:58 PM, James <jcd at libbeauty.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/18 04:03, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am collecting opinions about the need for better support of WebVTT
>> in browsers. Please speak up for or against it.
>>
>> This is on the background of getting WebVTT to become a W3C
>> recommendation, which is what we are working on in the Timed Text
>> Working Group (TTWG) right now.
>>
>> In my experience, having a spec at recommendation status is a key
>> motivator to get browsers to implement features interoperably. Basic
>> support is in all browsers, but interoperability is so poor that it's
>> basically unusable for normal Web publishing.
>>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a web site like this one, to test WebVTT the standard?
> http://www.acidtests.org

Yes, WebVTT is part of the Web Platform tests:
https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/webvtt

The results can be inspected here: https://wpt.fyi/webvtt.
All browsers have issues.

Funnily, the browser that supports the least of the more interesting
features is the most green in rendering:
https://wpt.fyi/webvtt/rendering/cues-with-video/processing-model

Kind Regards,
Silvia.