[foms] FOMS follow-up

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 11:15:41 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Congratulations on another successful FOMS and next to such a huge
DEMUXED! It was big enough to have attracted Microsoft and I got to
know Andy Beach that way!

So I'm very happy to be able to announce that we've just had some
Microsoft video engineers join this mailing list - welcome!

For those that weren't able to attend FOMS, the session notes are all
linked into the Schedule:
http://www.foms-workshop.org/foms2017/pmwiki.php/Site/Schedule .
Feel free to log in and improve the formatting or add your own notes to clarify.
Ask for the PW on the FOMS video slack channel: https://video-dev.slack.com .

Finally, feel free to use this mailing list for discussions about some
of the new topics that came up this year.

For example, I know there was lots of discussion about a new QoE
Metrics proposal
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hPYayD4uyV-7LuRMlM5JP1pvWL5V_y44kF_7DusqPOU/edit
prepared by Steve.

Then there was also discussion about extending the TextTrack API for
live captioning https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/issues/319 .

And one about the Media Capabilities CG spec:
https://wicg.github.io/media-capabilities/

At FOMS this year it was also great to have the open source media
developers from VLC, libav, Matroska, gstreamer and open codecs there
- I think we found we're all struggling with similar challenges.

Plenty more work to do to make video more usable on the Web and
elsewhere! Keep making media better!

Cheers,
Silvia.
--