[foms] WebM Manifest

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu May 5 10:22:25 PDT 2011

I understand everyone would like a single solution that works in all
cases. But what would you prefer ? 2 systems that are optimum for a
single case or 1 system that works OK but no great in all cases.

t's not like servers or players don't already have the "choice"
(rather necessity) to support more than 1 adaptive streaming format.
So I don't think it's a big deal if there is one for VOD and one for
live. After all these uses cases would never recoup anyway. A system
optimize for live could for VOD for sure. But a VOD system doesn't
need to be hacked and made complex for the sake of somehow working for
live streaming. And once you get rid of the live part for a VOD system
you can do more elaborate things or assume other (like forcing the
variants to be in single files).

Steve

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman