[foms] WebM Manifest

Frank Galligan fgalligan at google.com
Thu Mar 24 15:01:34 PDT 2011

This was a fun thread to read after stepping away for a week. Let me try to
summarize some of the bigger points. If I get any wrong please correct.

up to a manifest file. One possible way would be to use XMLHttpRequest with
Blob data and byte ranges.

2. Jeroen and Mark think starting from only an api will be fairly hard and
time consuming. I going to agree with Mark and Jeroen here. You would
basically need to add close to a full file parser for each format. And maybe
even tailor some of the API to deal with format differences.

3. Jean-Baptiste was wondering about devices that do not have javascript or
maybe under powered. I think everyone is okay with ending up with a manifest
file that will work with browsers and devices. Just the question is how we
get there?

4. Seems like some people are worried that Dash is too complex.  Mark gave
some info on the simple VOD profile of Dash.

Questions:
I think the original question still remanis, but let me modify it slightly.

1. If W3C adopts the DASH as a manifest format would the W3c license
be acceptable to you?

2. Technically is the simple VOD profile of Dash too complex?

Next steps:
- Create a wiki page to start defining what the API. We can probably have
two pages. Statistics api and control api.

- Create a wiki page of a manifest format.

I think both can be done in parallel. After we get farther along we should
probably move the discussion to another list.

Also I have a quick update, we are implementing a prototype of WebM adaptive
streaming in Chromium. The prototype will use a manifest as a place holder
for now because we think this will be the fastest way to develop and test
the architecture needed to playback adaptive streaming presentations.

Frank