[foms] WebM Manifest

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Sat Mar 19 03:34:25 PDT 2011

> will have to be loaded, demuxed and decoded. The demuxing is always
> done in software (ie not hardware) so it is flexible enough to allow

This is not always true. In fact, the hardware people I spoke to at the
WebM summit seemed genuinely confused why we (browsers) would even want
to do this in software.

Keep in mind also that TCP does not stop on a dime. If you haven't told
the remote end where you want to stop receiving data in advance
(because, for example, you had to download and parse the stream to even
know where the frame boundaries were), it will blithely continue to
stuff your channel with data, even if you're no longer interested in it,
until it receives your CLOSE. That wastes your bandwidth whether you
like it or not.