[foms] WebM Manifest

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Thu Mar 17 14:01:26 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm at netflix.com> wrote:
> To construct byte range requests you need to read and parse this index. I'm
> not sure Javascript has good tools for efficiently handling & parsing binary
> data yet.

JavaScript can handle reading and parsing binary files with a few
workarounds and there is work going on to make it easier. For a
Firefox example see:

<http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/06/05/reading-ogg-files-with-javascript.html>

This reads binary data from Ogg files and parses it. The demo page is:

<http://double.co.nz/video_test/oggparse.html>

I do like Philip's approach of defining a low level API with manifest
support implemented in JavaScript. If it is achievable it'd make
trying different formats easier. It would also make it easier for
services to experiment and innovate.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz