[foms] WebM Manifest

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Mar 17 02:16:58 PDT 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:20:05 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:01:06AM +0100, Philip Jägenstedt wrote :
>> My position is that we should start from the bottom, implementing APIs
>> in
>> browsers that make it possible to implement adaptive streaming using
>> scripts. If we succeed at that, then DASH could be implemented as a
>> JavaScript library. When we have that low-level API in place I think we
>> should look at simplifying it for authors by looking at a manifest
>> format,
>> but I truly doubt taking DASH wholesale would be the best long-term
>> solution for either browser implementors or web authors.
>
> How does this work in non-JS environments?

The reason for such a low-level API is to be able to reuse all the
existing browser infrastructure, so naturally it wouldn't work at all
outside a browser.

If one wants to target both browsers and non-browsers, I'm confident that
there will eventually be a manifest format to do that, even if browsers
don't support that manifest format natively and require JavaScript to get
the job done.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer