[foms] WebM Manifest

Mark Watson watsonm at netflix.com
Tue Mar 15 08:01:38 PDT 2011

Steve,

Your "single file" idea is supported by DASH. In DASH a "Segment" is a continuous portion of a single bitrate. It could contain the whole duration of the content (e.g. in the on-demand case). The manifest provides a URL *and byte range* for each Segment, so if you wish you can concatenate the different bitrates into a single file and provide the byte ranges in the manifest.

...Mark

On Mar 15, 2011, at 5:32 AM, Steve Lhomme wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:56:23 +0100, Frank Galligan <fgalligan at google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have been talking about how to implement client-side HTTP adaptive
>>> streaming for WebM for a few months. We have focused on VOD first (with
>>> live
>>> to come later). Most participants have agreed that the default baseline
>>> format are streams that should be stored as separate non-chunked files.
>>> This
>>> format has the most advantages and least disadvantages for the three
>>> major
>>> parties involved with VOD video: content creation tools, content delivery
>>> networks, and client implementations. The next issue that needs to be
>>> addressed is the manifest format.
>>>
>>> I think most people have been following the DASH spec closely as an
>>> option
>>> for the WebM adaptive streaming manifest. But there still is a question