[foms] WebM Manifest

Frank Galligan fgalligan at google.com
Mon Mar 14 14:56:23 PDT 2011

Hi all,

We have been talking about how to implement client-side HTTP adaptive
streaming for WebM for a few months. We have focused on VOD first (with live
to come later). Most participants have agreed that the default baseline
format are streams that should be stored as separate non-chunked files. This
format has the most advantages and least disadvantages for the three major
parties involved with VOD video: content creation tools, content delivery
networks, and client implementations. The next issue that needs to be
addressed is the manifest format.

I think most people have been following the DASH spec closely as an option
for the WebM adaptive streaming manifest. But there still is a question as
to whether the DASH specification will be licensed in an open manner that is
consistent with WebM. I think most people in the community would like to
have one adaptive manifest format. I know there has been interest by the
proposed W3C Web and TV Interest Group of adopting DASH as the baseline
manifest format for adaptive streaming.

If the Web and TV IG choose the DASH manifest as the baseline manifest
format for adaptive streaming, would all of you be OK with implementing it
in your products?

Frank