[foms] To DASH or not to DASH

Jeroen Wijering jeroen at longtailvideo.com
Tue Jan 4 07:36:14 PST 2011

Hey,

Speaking for myself, I do think DASH (the XML format) could be pretty useful. It's fairly extensive and can indeed be used as a manifest format for WebM (A/V) + (Web)SRT (captions). We built some basic support for it in JW Player (using H64/AAC though). Hopefully there'll be an "official" baseline version of the format, since a full XML (with all the groupings and namespaces) is pretty overwhelming. It does provide several useful options that M3U8 does not (separate audio/video tracks, single source with ranges, dvr windows).

DRM is harder. Perhaps there's a way to provision but not implement it? At the other hand, one needs quite a few low-level API's if decryption is not managed by the browser. To date we stayed away from implementing DRM in the JW Players, since it's a lot of work for a few clients (big companies generally build their own players). Isn't there a more or less common decryption algothytm used by all systems, and couldn't this be applied in browsers/players if a decryption key was provided over an API?

Perhaps somebody knows a good read-up on the various DRM systems that are available at present? In the wild, I only seem to encounter Microsoft's PlayReady.

Kind regards,

Jeroen