[foms] Text of ISO/IEC DIS 23001-6 Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Feb 17 09:52:33 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm at netflix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - I think we need profiles of DASH - in particular a
>>> restriction to just one mime type being used in a file that should go
>>> to make sure it works with the @media query attribute of <source>
>>> elements, thus targets particular device features.
>>
>> I think the requirement should be that it must be possible to determine
>> whether a manifest can be played without loading the manifest.
>

> That's indeed concretely what the @type and @media attributes are used for.
>

>>> What I most wonder about is, if such a DASH file was to be used in
>>> place of a media resource in the @src attribute of a <video>, <audio>,
>>> or <source> element, what will its mime type be? It would make life
>>> easy if the mime type could just be the mime type of the resource that
>>> it stands for, e.g. when all referenced files are webm, the mime type
>>> of the manifest file should be video/webm. Unfortunately, it is
>>> proposed to be video/vnd.mpeg.dash.mpd which doesn't help the browser
>>> in deciding whether it will support the resource type therein. Maybe
>>> we could create a profile and then have something like video/dash+webm
>>> and video/dash+mp4 as mime types which is much more informative.
>>
>> They defined a "profiles" parameter to this MIME type which can be used to
>> say which profile or profiles the manifest is compliant to.
>> So, if someone defines a profile which goes as far as specifying
>> mp4+H.264+aac (say) and someone else goes defines a profile which specifies
>> WebM+VP8+Vorbis, then it is possible to specify which one a manifest is
>> compliant to. Or indeed that it is compliant to both, meaning that it can be
>> played so long as you support one profile or the other.
>
> That sounds great. Maybe that's the best way to go.
>
> Silvia.

It still seems restrictive not knowing if the stream is onDemand or
live or simply. Also it's not allowed to mixed streams that have VP8
and H264 in the same MDP (for example) ? I bet that will be the most
common case so that you have one MDP per onDemand stream with
something for devices that can handle H264 only and browsers that only
handle VP8.

But in the end, what's the advantage to know the MIME before reading
the actual MDP ? The download is initiated anyway. And the MIME can
only show so much about the details in the MDP.

Steve

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman