[foms] Text of ISO/IEC DIS 23001-6 Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP

Mark Watson watsonm at netflix.com
Wed Feb 16 16:56:43 PST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

I agree - I think we need profiles of DASH - in particular a
restriction to just one mime type being used in a file that should go
to make sure it works with the @media query attribute of <source>
elements, thus targets particular device features.

I think the requirement should be that it must be possible to determine whether a manifest can be played without loading the manifest.

What I most wonder about is, if such a DASH file was to be used in
place of a media resource in the @src attribute of a <video>, <audio>,
or <source> element, what will its mime type be? It would make life
easy if the mime type could just be the mime type of the resource that
it stands for, e.g. when all referenced files are webm, the mime type
of the manifest file should be video/webm. Unfortunately, it is
proposed to be video/vnd.mpeg.dash.mpd which doesn't help the browser
in deciding whether it will support the resource type therein. Maybe
we could create a profile and then have something like video/dash+webm
and video/dash+mp4 as mime types which is much more informative.

They defined a "profiles" parameter to this MIME type which can be used to say which profile or profiles the manifest is compliant to.

So, if someone defines a profile which goes as far as specifying mp4+H.264+aac (say) and someone else goes defines a profile which specifies WebM+VP8+Vorbis, then it is possible to specify which one a manifest is compliant to. Or indeed that it is compliant to both, meaning that it can be played so long as you support one profile or the other.

...Mark

Cheers,
Silvia.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Jeroen Wijering