[foms] WebM Manifest

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Apr 7 08:40:46 PDT 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:01:34 +0100, Frank Galligan <fgalligan at google.com>
wrote:

> 1. If W3C adopts the DASH as a manifest format would the W3c license
> be acceptable to you?

This is no the outcome I am hoping for, but if all other browser vendors
think that DASH is brilliant than of course ultimately I have no say in
the matter. What I would hope happen is that we have a capable API and a
*simple* baseline format to deal with the simple cases. This gives us the
best of both worlds and is similar to how <track> + WebVTT for captions
works.

> 2. Technically is the simple VOD profile of Dash too complex?

I tried searching this list for a reference to it but couldn't find it.
Google also doesn't help. Do you have a spec reference and examples of how
this would look like?

> Also I have a quick update, we are implementing a prototype of WebM
> adaptive
> streaming in Chromium. The prototype will use a manifest as a place
> holder
> for now because we think this will be the fastest way to develop and test
> the architecture needed to playback adaptive streaming presentations.

That's very interesting, I look forward to seeing that in action (and
copying it into Opera).

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer