[foms] Adaptive streaming

David R videophool at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 27 14:36:08 PDT 2010

I have fixed my email settings, and now my name should be properly displayed.  I also work at Netflix, and am currently the manager of the encoding tools group.  I have been deeply involved (as a principle architect) in all of our adaptive streaming solutions starting with our Sivlerlight client 2 years ago.   We have implemented high-quality adaptive streaming on BD-Live (we deliver unmuxed, AACS encrypted, A/V streams, that are muxed on the client, and played back using BD Progressive playlists), PS-3, Wii, and iPad/iPhone/AppleTV.  In all of our implementations, we have worked hard to make the streaming experience as good as TV (i.e. nobody watching TV would tolerate audio glitches, slow start, or frequent re-buffers).  My expertise is stream formats, and the encoding pipeline, and my team has developed all of the back-end tools that format and verify our content.  FYI, when we delivered the iPad application, we had about 2 weeks to develop the formatting tools, and 1 month to produce the multi-bitrate streams for our entire library (> 30,000 viewables).  We ran 4000+ cloud encoding hosts.  Also, we do not use chunked files even with HTTP Live Streaming.Cheers,David Ronca