[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Oct 21 00:43:36 PDT 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:52:10 +0200, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2010 11:46 AM, Jeroen Wijering wrote:

>>> Note that one of Philip's suggestion's (maybe not on the list? I can't
>>> remember.) was that we do the API before we do the manifest work.
>>> This would allow us to iterate, test and figure out what worked before
>>> figuring out what we needed in the manifest.
>> Yes, that was Philip's proposal as well. Makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> - Jeroen
>
> Also would allow us to test out switching algorithms that we might want
> to include in browsers by default.  And (*gasp*!) specify them.
>
> --Chris

I support this message :)

In some way or another, we need to achieve gapless playback. These are the
options I know of so far:

1. A concatenation API (maybe Stream) to form a single stream from
multiple URLs. This would basically be a byte concatentation API, and
assumes that we either have the chunks be plain slices or that we support
chained Ogg/WebM gaplessly. It has some similarity to a Manifest API in
that it lists several URLs. The difference may be that the video element
isn't aware of the multiple resources, that's all hidden in the URL,
effectively made part of the network layer of the browser.

2. Have each chunk in its own <video> and add a synchronization API. The
main use case for this is synchronizing external audio tracks, but as a
side-effect one could allow synchronizing two clips at their edges. My
assumption is that we will want such a sync API eventually anyway.
However, it's not a terribly obvious way of thinking about gapless
playback. Also, it would require switching the video elements at the exact
right time, and <track> elements would have to be duplicated...

Does anyone have opinions on either of these approaches? Are there others?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer