[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 20 11:42:31 PDT 2010

On 10/20/2010 3:59 AM, Jeroen Wijering wrote:
> A naming scheme / API cannot be the only option though, since there'll be issues around such cases as:
>
> * Load balancing (mid-stream failure of a server, redirection to the other)

You could use this with a Manifest API, assuming you were continuously
telling it where to get chunks, which I assume would be the case.

> * Encoding issues (discontinuities in the chain/scheme)
> * Dynamic insertion of unrelated chunks (e.g. for pre/mid/postroll advertising)

You can do the dynamic insertion with different <video> elements (still
the best option, I suspect.)  Or I guess you could do it with a manifest
API as well.  "Your next chunk is over here at this other server!"

--Chris