[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 18:38:33 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/2010 12:42 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> It only needs reloading for a live stream. There is no other means for
>> a live stream to find out about the new files on the server other than
>> through the manifest.
>
> I was talking about adding a JS api to the manifest so that you could tell
> it instead of having to reload the file.  That way if you had a scheme
> (increasing numbers in file names) you could do that with an algorithm
> instead of having it in a file.

Ah! Yeah, that makes sense - normally they all follow a pattern. But
hmmm.... you'd still need to do a first request to the server, so
you'd get the manifest first and find out all the file basenames. For
static content I'm not sure why you'd need to further use such a JS
api then. For live stuff - as Ben said... I think that would be very
useful...

Silvia.