[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:54:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Jeroen Wijering
<jeroen at longtailvideo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Steve Heffernan wrote:
>
>>> So the bigger question is whether we would prefer codec selection inside the sources tags or inside the manifest.
>>
>> Seems like inside the source tags would be the better route, so you don't have to parse the m3u8 file to check for compatibility.
>>
>> i.e. videoElement.canPlayType("video/m3u8") wouldn't be reliable.
>
> Yes, that makes sense. Although there's also a difference between, say, "video/webm" and "manifest/webm". The first plays in FF4.0, the latter not.

That's just a temporary issue until the browsers support m3u8. Maybe
the more accurate mime type for m3u8 files would be video/m3u8+webm or
video/m3u8+ogg.

Incidentally, m3u8 files for Apple have the mime type
application/x-mpegURL [1]. That's non-standard and we might be able to
get Apple to join something like video/m3u8+mpeg. Or we could follow
that pattern and put something with URL in the mime type.

Cheers,
Silvia.
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-01