[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 05:19:18 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:58:19PM +0200, Jeroen Wijering wrote:
>>
>> Here is a (rough and incomplete) proposal for doing adaptive streaming
>> using open video formats. WebM is used as an example, but all points
>> should apply to Ogg as well.
>
> Now I haven't attended FOMS and not followed this discussion, but what's
> this talk about streaming "open" video formats (adaptively) all about?
>
> If you wish to stream video, stream video.  Don't mandate what format
> to stream.  This will buy you nothing, except reducing utility and
> mindshare.
>
> Diego

Hey, you should have been there! Would have been awesome!

The thing is, everyone is full of doing adaptive streaming over HTTP
these days where you don't have to install any new software on your
Web server and the Web client will just be able to switch to
lower/higher bandwidth streams for the same video so as to continue
playing without needing to go into buffering mode. It works really
well for mobile devices - Apple, MS, Adobe are all doing it for MPEG.
There is a market need to do the same for open formats: WebM and Ogg.
Not stream over RTP/RTSP, but stream over HTTP adaptively. There is a
market need - this is a reaction to it. I think it's a good thing to
widen the utility of open formats with such a spec.

Cheers,
Silvia.