[foms] HLS and HLS patents

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 15 10:57:02 PDT 2010

  On 10/15/2010 1:23 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> They have also pointed me to the MPEG effort in the space, which is
> supposedly media file format independent. There is no public spec
> available at this stage and it is unclear what the rights situation
> will be. But I was told it builds on the 3GPP spec in this space. That
> is available at
> http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/26_series/26.234/26234-940.zip .
> The file format is called "MPD" for Media Presentation Description and
> below is an example. I am rather un-excited by its complexity in
> comparison to m3u8 actually:

It's also worth looking at the stuff from Microsoft as well.  In fact,
there's a chance (without having talked to them) that they might want to
standardize something that's similar to how Smooth Streaming works, at
least on the client.  It will be good to have a partner here, be it
Apple or Microsoft.

--Chris