[foms] HLS and HLS patents

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Oct 14 13:38:31 PDT 2010

Hello people,

I am not sure if this is on-topic of this list. If it isn't, then, sorry.

Following the FOMS workshop (thanks a lot Silvia), I have done some work
and some research about HLS.
Since that workshop, we have fixed infinite live .webm streams in VLC,
improved the HLS serving part of VLC to be TS-independant, and
implemented a first HLS client implementation that actually does
adaptive bandwidth. We still have to work on doing a live .webm
streaming, though.

But more importantly, we've hit "Real-Time or Near Real-Time Streaming"
patent from Apple.
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220100169458%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20100169458&RS=DN/20100169458

Isn't that an issue compared to the different solutions overviewed at
the workshop?

Best,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf