[foms] What data is needed for adaptive stream switching?

Jeroen Wijering jeroen at longtailvideo.com
Wed Nov 24 01:20:08 PST 2010

A per-stream @bufferedBytes / @currentOffset would be perfect. No need for global bandwidth IMO.

As to framedrops / CPU load: I think a @framesDropped / @framesDecoded attribute pair still makes most sense.

> In terms of an API which can indicate decision points, maybe an event
> which fires when playback enters a new chunk? Or fires when the download
> of a chunk finishes? Be aware we can't guarantee that any DOM events
> which we fire will arrive in a particularly timely manner, there could
> be any number of other things going on with the event queue.

Depending upon the way the chunks are loaded into the videoElement (<stream>s with range-requests? Stream() API with chunks?), there might already be a way to derive whether a chunk has loaded (polling @bufferedBytes). An event would be nice, but not needed at present I think.

Likewise, @currentTime of a  videoElement should be enough to determine whether a new chunk is already playing or not, for now.

Kind regards,

Jeroen