[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Nov 20 02:31:23 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Timothy B. Terriberry
> <tterribe at xiph.org> wrote:
>>> 8K ?! What exactly is being passed in 8K for an audio codec
>>> initialization sequence ?
>>> (by comparison, the initialization sequence for AAC is only 2 bytes)
>>
>> Vorbis includes a complete set of VQ codebooks in the headers. These are
>> not 8K, but more like 4-5K (in the first file I looked at, they were
>> 4140 bytes).
>
> I would hope they would not need to be re-transmitted at every chunk
> boundary even for streams with different bitrates - would that really
> be necessary?

Maybe it could, but I'd advise against it. I think each chunk should
be independently playable, not depending on how the previous chunk was
initialized. This is necessary for proper caching of each chunk,
especially if chunk are assembled randomly.

Steve