[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Wed Nov 17 08:53:40 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM, David R <videophool at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 07:43:23, Steve wrote:
>>That means people should be able to create their stream, put them on *any*
>> website and it will work. So those chuncks, in general, have to be in
>> different files.
> Any website that supports range requests can handle non-chunked files.  A
> requirement that a new adaptive streaming model work on *any* website is
> excessive.

Why is it excessive ? Having different streams and a manifest file can
be handled by any file server. In fact even FTP could work for that.
No logic is necessary, it's all in the manifest and in the player.

>> A crossfader will be necessary for audio to avoid any glitch
>> when switching streams. That's (a little) more buffering needed.
> Requiring clients to maintain multiple decode pipelines, splice video, and
> crossfade audio, is excessive and unnecessary complexity that few
> devices will be able to support.

I agree, and this is not what I meant. The cross fading on the other
hand is necessary. You cannot design adaptative streaming and not
allow more than one version of the audio stream. And in that case
there are chances that the streams will not exactly coincide sample by
sample at the switch point. You can either handle it with cross
fading, or having a dirty glitch. But users will not like the latter.

Steve